Monday 21 May 2012

Glazing!

While my paperclay piece was being bisque fired, I got to glazing my "head" and my first clay pieces.

I wanted a matt glaze on my head so I used black copper manganese dioxide to bring out all the scratches, holes and dents in my piece to make it look more 3D! Of course I wore rubber gloves and a mask while doing this... I brushed the black copper manganese dioxide over the whole of my piece and sponged off the excess with water. I painted the black copper manganese dioxide into the eyes and onto the inside of the mouth to give it depth. Heres how it turned out....



I was thinking of painting on brown, green and yellow shade glazes onto my head the same way as Lucian Freud paints. Having painted a picture of his baby girl in the exact same style as Freud did, I wanted to apply this to my piece.

Freuds painting of his daughter.
(I will upload my version later!)


Buuuut, one day I walks into the library and BOOOM my piece was inside the cabinet.. was not expecting that :P sooo I decided to leave it the way it was, it looks like a charcoal drawing on a sheet of paper.


Back to my first narrative project dandelion pieces.... I wanted them to be natural and wanted them glazed a glossy cream colour. The pieces were already cream from the bisque firing so I dipped them into a transparency glaze. Here is how they turned out after they were fired.....>>





No comments:

Post a Comment