Monday 21 May 2012

Narrative Project - Constructing my clay piece

Okay I didnt document this one very well and im sorta bad at explaining my work oops :/  To start, I rolled out a sheet of clay on the slab roller. I didnt think it was thin enough for what I wanted to do with it so I rolled it out more using a rolling pin making sure it was even.
I cut off the uneven edges with a potters knife and ruler and then cut the clay into strips of about 2cm wide.
Putting each strip of clay inbetween a piece of cloth, I rubbed my fingers along each side to create a thinner, neater line.
I folded the clay just like a ribbon - over and back, and scored and joined every part where the clay met with slip.
I began to build these ribbon like structures up inside the bowl, pressing them into the shape of the bowl and again joining each part by scoring and pinching together with slip.


I kept building it up and up until I had filled the bowl. I left it over night before I removed it from the bowl.

Heres how it turned out :)



I also made a half of one in the exact same way with the hope that I could join them together into a ball shape like a dandelion which has had some of its seeds blown away but it didnt match up :(  I put both pieces down to the kiln to be bisque fired.






No comments:

Post a Comment